Kitchen fires can be the result of any number of causes, leaving cooking unattended, cooking with oil or grease, grease build up on the stove top or in the oven, to name a few.
How can we prevent these kinds of problems? Stay in the kitchen when cooking. That allows you to react quickly if food bubbles over or if something goes wrong. Keep the stove area clean and free of grease. Make sure all pot handles are turned in. If a fire starts, slide the lid over the pot, or sprinkle baking soda on the fire. Turn off the heat and NEVER use water or flour. Keep potholders, towels and other items away from burners and off the stovetop. Make sure appliances such as coffee pots are turned off after they are used.