Friends of the Library
The Friends Organization
Join South San Francisco Friends of the Library and help support children’s programming, adult literacy tutoring, summer learning and many other library programs and collections:
- Promotes community support and use of the Libraries
- Informs members about issues affecting the Libraries
- Raises funds for supplemental materials and equipment
- Sponsors special events and programs
- Supports City literacy projects
Join the Friends
You can join the Friends of the Library just by filling out a membership application. For questions about the Friends, visit the library in person, e-mail or call (650) 829-3860.
The Friends of the Library meets the second Tuesday of January, April, July and October at 6 p.m. in the Main Library Auditorium, 840 West Orange Avenue.
Our 2017 schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, January 10, 6 pm
- Tuesday, April 11, 6 pm
- Tuesday, July 11, 6 pm
- Tuesday, October 10, 6 pm
The Library is pleased to accept current bestsellers and paperbacks; also books on CD, and DVDs. Library selectors add some items to the collection; most other donated items go to the Friends of the Library book sales and ultimately the funds raise help the library in a myriad of ways. The library also seeks donations of materials related to South San Francisco history, such as school yearbooks, for inclusion in the Library History Room.
Thoughtful donations to the library are appreciated; however, we do not accept:
- Textbooks, computer books or manuals more than 3 years old
- VHS or cassette tapes
- Reader's Digest Condensed books or magazines
- Torn, damp, mildewed, pencil marked, highlighted or otherwise damaged books
- Newspapers, coupons, and catalogs
- Magazines (including National Geographic) older than 3 months
We reserve the right to refuse gifts (monetary or material) upon which restrictions are placed. For information on donating special items, please call (650) 829-3860.
Shop at Friends of the Library Book Sales
Both the Main and Grand Avenue Branch libraries have ongoing, daily book sales to raise funds for enhanced library programs and services.
In addition, the Friends of the Library holds a Spring Book Sale at the Main Library. Often there are special items for sale in addition to the usual books, DVDs and CDs. There is also an annual Fall Book Sale, date to be announced.
Funds raised by the Friends of the Library are used in support of library programs and services, such as:
- Books on CD and E-Books
- Membership in Discover & GO
- Online Book Club
- Tumble books for children
- Summer Learning Challenge