The Friends Organization
The South San Francisco Friends of the Library supports children's and adult programming, summer learning and many other library programs:
- Promotes community support and use of the library
- Informs members about issues affecting the library
- Sponsors special events and provides program funding
- Raises funds for supplemental materials and equipment
- Supports literacy projects, funding and advocacy
Join the Friends
Shop at Friends of the Library Book Sales
The Main Library holds a daily book sale to raise funds for library programs and services. In addition, to two large sales are held once in the spring and once in the fall. All book sales take place at the Main Library Auditorium, 840 West Orange Avenue.
- Spring Book Sale: Saturday, 10 AM - 2 PM, May 13, 2017
- Fall Book Sale: Saturday, 10 AM - 2 PM, October 14, 2017
The Friends of the Library meets the second Tuesday of January, April, July and October at 6 p.m. in the Main Library Auditorium, 840 West Orange Avenue.
The next meeting is October 10th, 2017 at 6 pm.
2017 Friends of the Library Board Members
- Eleanor Breite, President
- Pat FitzPatrick, Secretary
- Gail Davison, Treasurer
- Jean Graham, Member-at-Large
- Valerie Lambertson, Member-at-Large
The Friends is pleased to accept donations of current bestsellers and paperbacks, DVDs and books on CD. In addition, the library seeks donations of materials related to South San Francisco history, such as school yearbooks, for inclusion in the History Collection. While some items are added to the collection, most donations go to the Friends of the Library book sales.
Thoughtful donations to the library are appreciated. The Friends of the Library does not accept:
- Books that smell musty or that contain mold
- Torn, damp, mildewed, pencil marked, highlighted or otherwise damaged books
- Textbooks, computer books or manuals more than three years old
- VHS or cassette tapes
- Reader's Digest Condensed books or magazines
- Encyclopedias of any age
- Newspapers, coupons, calendars, notebooks or catalogs
- Magazines (including National Geographic) older than three months
All donations must be brought into the Main Library. Donations are not accepted at the Grand Library. The Friends of the Library does not accept donations left outside the library or placed in the book return. Due to staffing and storage limitations, we ask you to donate no more than two small or medium sized boxes per visit.
We reserve the right to refuse gifts (monetary or material) upon which restrictions are placed. For information on donating special items, please call (650) 829-3860.