SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO POPULATION
South San Francisco, CA has a population of 67,587 (2018) people with a median age of 38.8 and a median household income of $85,076. Between 2015 and 2016 the population of South San Francisco, CA grew from 66,217 to 66,587, a 0.56% increase and its median household income grew from $81,439 to $85,076, a 4.47% increase. The population of South San Francisco, CA is 37.9% Asian, 33.9% Hispanic, and 20.2% White. 57.3% of the people in South San Francisco, CA speak a non-English language, and 86.4% are U.S. citizens.
In 2016, the census tract with the highest Median Household Income in South San Francisco, CA was Census Tract 025 (Westborough) with a value of $113,401, followed by Census Tract 018 (Westborough) and Census Tract 026 (Buri-Buri and Winston Manor), with respective values of $102,276 and $95,972
- Population estimates, July 1, 2017, (V2017): 67,429
- Population estimates base, April 1, 2010, (V2017): 63,654
- Population, percent change - April 1, 2010 (estimates base) to July 1, 2017, (V2017): 5.9%
- Owner-occupied housing unit rate, 2012-2016: 60.3%
- Median value of owner-occupied housing units, 2012-2016: $644,500 (6.3% Growth)
- Median selected monthly owner costs -with a mortgage, 2012-2016: $2,583
- Median selected monthly owner costs -without a mortgage, 2012-2016: $490
- Median gross rent, 2012-2016: $1,607
EMPLOYMENT AND TOP INDUSTRIES
- Number of employees working in the City (2016): 35,247 (3.71% Growth)
- Total accommodation and food services sales, 2012 ($1,000): 316,221
- Total health care and social assistance receipts/revenue, 2012 ($1,000): 402,443
- Total merchant wholesaler sales, 2012 ($1,000): 4,819,034
- Total retail sales, 2012 ($1,000): 1,133,417
- Total retail sales per capita, 2012: $17,292
In 2016, the economy of South San Francisco employs 35,247 people. The economy of South San Francisco, CA is specialized in Transportation & Warehousing; Wholesale Trade; and Real Estate, Rental & Leasing, which employ respectively 1.72; 1.38; and 1.28 times more people than what would be expected in a location of this size. The largest industries in South San Francisco, CA are Healthcare & Social Assistance (5,378), Retail trade (3,788), and Accommodation & Food Service (3,461), and Professional, Scientific, Tech (3,461). The highest paying industries are Utilities ($100,912), Professional, Scientific, Tech Services ($68,571), and Management of Companies & Enterprises ($64,387).
Compared to other census places, South San Francisco, CA has an unusually high number of residents working in Law Enforcement Supervisors; Life, Physical, & Social Science; and Architecture & Engineering. The highest paid jobs held by residents of South San Francisco, CA, by median earnings, are Computer & Mathematical; Fire Fighting Supervisors; and Health Practitioners.
- In civilian labor force, total, percent of population age 16 years+, 2012-2016: 69.0%
- In civilian labor force, female, percent of population age 16 years+, 2012-2016: 64.5%