The Building Division is mandated by Health and Safety Code State laws and is responsible for:
- Enforcing the California Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Electric, Residential, and Energy Codes.These codes provide the minimum standards to safeguard life, property, and public welfare in buildings.
- Monitoring construction activity and determining that on-going construction projects have the required permits and conform to approved plans and conditions
- Enforcing State-mandated requirements such as handicap accessibility and energy conservation regulations
The Building Division issues building permits and takes in plans for review. Our field inspectors verify compliance with various codes and ordinances in both residential and commercial structures.
What kind of permits can I apply for online?
You can apply for many permits through our online permitting center at https://permits.ssf.net for over-the-counter permits such as water heaters, furnaces, electrical upgrades, re-roofing, windows, photovoltaic, garage doors, siding and kitchen or bathroom updates without walls moving.
Permits requiring plans go to “Plan Submittal & Permit Requirements & Applications” for details.
What are the hours of construction?Development activity and heavy equipment operation is restricted to 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, Monday through Friday; 9:00 am to 8:00 pm on Saturdays; and 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on Sundays or holidays observed by the City.
How long will it take to get my permit?
The process of obtaining a permit is an interactive process. Factors that influence the length of time to obtain a permit are as follows:
• Completeness of the plans
• Submittal of all the requested information
• Availability of contacts (owner, agent, architect, engineer, etc.)
• Workload of City Staff at the time of permit submittal
• The type of permit
Please note, some project permits may be issued over the counter, such as: roof, electrical services, repairs, and (based on the scope of work) some bathroom and kitchen remodels.
How do I obtain a Building Permit?
The Building Division of the Economic and Community Development Department issues building permits for both new and remodeled home and business construction. Permit fees are based on the type of work and the size of the construction job.
Permits are issued at the Permit Center Service Counter in the City Hall Annex from 6:30 am to 5:00 pm with the exception of the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month when the counter closes 3:00-4:00 pm for staff meetings. Plan submittals not accepted after 4:30pm.
Before applying for a permit, make a rough plan of your project. The rough plan should include the dimensions of your lot, the size of your house, and the location of your planned addition. City staff will review this plan before you submit formal plans to be checked by the City’s Building Division.
For permit information, call (650) 829-6670.
I am building a new house. Which City departments do I contact?
You will need to speak to a Planner to find out what the requirements for your construction project will be. After doing so, you will need to speak to the Building Division to find out what the permit requirements will be.
Contact the Building Division at (650) 829-6670 or the Planning Division at (650) 877-8535