The Recreation Division consists of seven program areas, including Aquatics, Classes, Cultural Arts, Childcare, Senior Services, Sports and Rentals. Other programs managed by the Recreation Division include departmental Special Events and Administration.
Due to the recent novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, all of our program areas have cancelled programs and services.
San Mateo County’s Great Plates Delivered Program
The County of San Mateo - Government has launched the Great Plates Delivered Program with California's Governer Newsom, a new service dedicated to a FREE meal program for seniors who need to stay home due to Covid-19. If eligible, seniors can receive free home delivered meals from restaurants in their neighborhood, three meals per day.
- Anyone 65 years of age or older
- Anyone 60-64 who is COVID-19 positive
- Anyone 60-64 who has been exposed to COVID-19 with written proof from a medical professional
- Anyone 60-64 with an underlying health condition
ANSWER “YES” TO ALL OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
- Live alone or with one other eligible adult
- Do not receive meals from any other federal or state program
- Do not have family, friends, or caregivers who can help with meals
- Unable to prepare or shop for meals
- Have income less than $74,940 for single person
Residents are encouraged to call (800) 675-8437 for enrollment. For phone assistance in a different language, please call:
(833) 261-3663 | Spanish
(833) 600-7276 | English
(833) 600-7275 | Mandarin
The Magnolia Center offers a variety of recreational and educational activities, including:
- Social Dancing
- AARP Driver Safety Program (application form)
- Billiards & Bingo
- Tai Chi at Magnolia & Municipal Services Bldg
- English as a Second Language
- Knitting classes
- Educational presentations
For updates on programs and activities, call the Magnolia center at (650) 829-3820 and ask about how you can subscribe to the Magnolia's monthly newsletter SENIOR CONNECTIONS.
*Join us for social dancing at the Municipal Services Building, 33 Arroyo Dr, on Tuesdays & Fridays from 10am to 1pm and Thursdays 9am to 12pm. Cost is $5 per person.
Hot meals are served Monday through Friday at the Magnolia Center. Meals are $6.00.
Advanced reservations are required. Lunch is served at 12:00 pm. Please call Magnolia Center at (650) 829-3820 for information and advance reservations.
Information, Referrals & Assistance
For further information on City programs, please call (650) 829-3820.
San Mateo County AssistanceFor further information regarding additional services for seniors in San Mateo County, please call the TIES Line (staffed by San Mateo County Social Workers) at (800) 675-8437 or visit the San Mateo County website.
If you'd like to learn more about our referral and support services, please refer to our information flyer.