SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT:You can schedule an appointment by calling the appointment line at (650) 363-4718 or by using the Online Appointment System If you cannot make your scheduled time, please call (650) 372-6200 before 2:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday, forty-eight (48) hours prior to your appointment to cancel. This disposal service for hazardous waste from your home is free of charge to county residents.
PREPARING FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Wastes Accepted: Paint, paint thinner, varnish, and stain; garden, swimming pool, and hobby chemicals; household cleaning products and batteries; and automotive products (gasoline).
- Wastes Not Accepted: Asbestos, appliances, business wastes, construction wastes, compressed gas cylinders (other than propane under 5-gallon in size), explosives, medical wastes, or tires.
- DO NOT MIX WASTES under any circumstances!
- Containers to Use: Please make sure that your wastes are in their original containers or are labeled and are not leaking. Please put your items in cardboard boxes, not tied up in plastic bags. You do not need to tape the boxes shut. If you do not have any cardboard boxes, you can use your recycling bin or a plastic clothes basket (the staff will give it right back).
- Dispose empty containers in your home garbage. Just leave the lid off so the garbage collector can see you are disposing empty containers
WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE SITE:State law requires you stay inside your vehicle at all times. The technicians will unload your vehicle at the site. Regulations prohibit staff from pouring gasoline while accepting waste from the public.
If you have gasoline in a container you want returned, please make your appointment for the San Mateo County facility and tell the staff that you need it back. They will be able to return it to you while you wait. At the Pacifica and South San Francisco locations, please use a different container, OR put your name and phone number on the container. The staff will call you to return your container after pouring your gasoline. Please note that this may be up to four to six months after you drop off.
If you have gasoline in a container you want returned, AND your appointment is at one of the temporary sites (Menlo Park, Redwood City, San Mateo, Daly City, La Honda or Portola Valley), please put your name on the container and plan to return after 2:00 p.m. to pick it up.
NEXT TIME:Consider buying smaller amounts and using all of your hazardous products. Share extra products with friends, neighbors, and family. If you don't have leftovers, you won't have to dispose of it!
If you have questions on any of the above, please call (650) 372-6200 or email EnvHealth@smcgov.org. For more information, visit the San Mateo County Pollution Prevention website.