U.S. Passport Checklist
Please make sure you have:
- Completed DS-11 Form in black ink only
- We only process Form DS‐11 application dated 2013 or newer
- Personal check, cashier’s check, money order, and credit/debit card
- Old passport, Certificate of Naturalization, or original birth certificate
- Government-issued photo identification (of applicant or both parents if under age 16)
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR MINORS
Passports For Children Under Age 16
A United States passport application for children under the age of 16 requires the signatures of both parents. The "Statement of Consent" (Form DS-3053) for the non-appearing parent must be notarized. A clear copy of the non-applying parent's government issued photo ID, front and back, is required. In addition to both parents supplying valid identification, the child’s birth certificate and social security number is required.
Passports For Minors Age 16 And 17
Minors ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the minor to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.
|Passport Application Type||Instructions and application download||16 years and over||Under 16 years*|
DS-11 New Passport application
|DS-82 Passport Renewal by Mail
The City does not process renewal forms (DS-82) for adults. These are mail in forms. If you need assistance and make an appointment, please use the DS-11 form.
How to Check Application Status
You can check your application status online or by phone. You will need the following information:
- Last Name
- Include suffixes (Jones III, Patton Jr, etc.)
- Include hyphens as appropriate (Jackson-Smith)
- Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Last Four Digits of Social Security Number
- Access the Online Passport Status System at passportstatus.state.gov to check your application status.
- It takes 7-10 business days after you applied for your application to be trackable online.
- Receive automatic email updates on the status of your application by entering your email address after locating your pending application in the Online Passport Status System.
Check by Phone
Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) to speak to a Customer Service Representative:
- Monday – Friday; 7:00 am to 10:00 pm Eastern Time
- Saturday; 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Eastern Time
*Excluding Federal Holidays
Haven't Received Your Passport?
If the Online Passport Status System or the National Passport Information Center has indicated that your newly-issued passport has been mailed out, but you have not received it after 10 business days, please contact the National Passport Information Center. They will guide you through completion of the DS-86 form.
If you do not report the non-receipt of your passport within 90 days from the date the passport was issued, you will be required to reapply and pay all applicable fees.
Please Note: As a Passport Acceptance Facility, the City Clerk's Office is authorized to receive your completed application for a U.S. Passport and submit the application along with all necessary documentation to the U.S. Department of State, Passport Services Division. It is important to note that only the U.S. Department of State can make the final decision to issue a passport to an individual.
For additional questions, please visit: www.travel.state.gov