Many of the major benefits for City of South San Francisco employees are uniform; however, many benefits vary by bargaining unit. The following is provided as a general overview of benefits provided for a full-time regular employee. For specifics, refer to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) associated with the position.
Paid Time Off
- Vacation is accrued bi-weekly, for use after completion of 6 months of City service.
- For Fire Association members, see MOU. For all other Units, the following applies:
|Service||Bi-Weekly Accrual||Based on a 40 Hr Workweek|
|Hire date through completion of 4th year
|5th year through completion of 14th year
|15th year through completion of 24th year
|25th and succeeding years
- 11 holidays per year, 2 half-days, plus 1 floating holiday per year.
Health and Dependent Care
- Choice of four plans: Kaiser Permanente HMO; Blue Shield of California HMO; Blue Shield of California PPO; and Blue Shield of California HDHP (High Deductible High Plan).
- City pays 90% of the premium for the employee and his/her qualified dependents for HMO coverage. Employees pay 10% of HMO premium based on the category of coverage (single, two, family)
- For participation in the PPO HDHP plan, the City pays the equivalent of the HMO premium and the employee is responsible for any additional premium cost.
- City pays monthly premiums for employees and their qualified dependents for Delta Dental Premier plan coverage.
- City pays monthly premiums for employees and their qualified dependents for Vision Service Plan coverage.
Flexible Spending Account (Section 125 Plan)
- Eligibility: All units except Police Association members.
- Opportunity to contribute up to $2,500 in a healthcare spending account.
- Opportunity to contribute up to $5,000 in a dependent care spending account.
Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- City pays for services of licensed EAP counselors to provide confidential assessment, referral and short-term counseling for employees and their qualified dependents.
Paid Sick Leave
- Sick leave is accrued at the rate of 8 hours per month or 3.69 hours bi-weekly.
- For Fire Association members, see MOU.
- The City has private self-insured Short-term Disability (STD) and Long-term Disability (LTD) plans comparable to CA State Disability.
- For Fire and Police (Sworn only) members, see MOU.
- For all other Units, STD and LTD coverage.
- City-provided Workers' Compensation insurance for job-related injury.
- For Fire members, see MOU.
- For all other units, City-paid term life insurance coverage.
- Police members have additional life insurance through their Association.
- Membership in the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS).
- Safety members:
- Tier 2: 3% at age 55; employee pays approximately 9% of pay.
- Tier 3: 2.7% at age 57; employee pays approximately 11.5% of pay.
- Miscellaneous members:
- Tier 2: 2% at age 60; employee pays approximately 7% of pay.
- Tier 3: 2% at age 62; employee pays approximately 6.5% of pay.
- Three (3) year final compensation for both formulas.
- Social Security: All Units except Police (Sworn only), Fire (Sworn only), and Public Safety Management.
- Medicare: All Units
- Employee pays 6.2% (FICA) and 1.45% (Medicare) of gross pay
- Opportunity to save for retirement with pre-tax dollars as provided by Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Medical After Retirement Account (MARA)
- City contributes 1.5% of base pay into MARA for employee to pay for healthcare expenses in retirement.
- Deferred Compensation Committee has oversight of the deferred compensation plans. Public meetings are held quarterly, on the second Wednesday in March, June, September and December.
400 Grand Ave.
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5 pm