Computers & Wi-Fi
All three library facilities offer computers with Microsoft Office and internet access for public use. Additionally, free Wi-Fi is available in all library facilities. Main Library also offers iPads for checkout for in library use.
The Library provides reserved computer stations with Zoom Text magnification software, Purple Video Relay Service webcams for video calls, Dragon Naturally Speaking voice to text software, and Window-Eyes screen reader. These stations also have webcams, scanners, and optional enlarged keyboards and mice.
Other services for patrons include staff assistance in reaching library materials, and sign language interpretation or other accommodations for library programs. Accommodations at library programs can be arranged by completing this form.
Discover & Go
Discover & Go provides free or discounted access to museums and other cultural and educational institutions and attractions, such as the Asian Art Museum, California Academy of Sciences, California Historical Society, and even the Napa Valley Wine Train. As a South San Francisco Library card holder, you have access to numerous museums and cultural institutions throughout the Bay Area. The Discover & Go service is made possible by the Friends of the Library.
The Fine Print:
- You must have a valid South San Francisco Library card. Your library card number must start with '29048'.
- You must be at least 16 years old
- You may not use an e-Card or institutional card
- You may have up to 2 reservations at a time
- You may cancel a reservation only if you have not already printed the admission pass
- The pass is for use only by the person named and only on the date specified. No photocopies are allowed. Valid ID is required
The South San Francisco Public Library offers e-books for Kindles, Nooks, iPads, and other e-book readers and downloadable audiobooks for your MP3 player, iPhone, or PC.
- Overdrive provides e-books in both EPUB (Nook) and Kindle formats and audiobooks in WMA and MP3 formats. Overdrive Help
- California Missions e-Books: Use this link to view the Mission eBooks collection online. eBooks can be viewed online or downloaded with Adobe Reader. Discusses each of the California missions from their founding to the present day such as Spanish colonization in California.
- EBSCOhost, formerly NetLibrary, contains eBooks on subjects such as business, biographies, history, health and wellness, literature, philosophy and religion as well as a small collections of adult, children's and teen fiction.
- Enki is a shared open source eBook Network that allows California libraries to own and store eBooks for access by library patrons.
- Safari Tech Books Safari is the premier electronic reference library for programmers and IT professionals. Search electronic versions of a broad range of technical books such as technology, digital media and business books.
- The Open Library offers over 10,000 e-books in a variety of subjects. They can be downloaded in EPUB (Nook) and PDF formats or viewed online. Download instructions for reading Open Library eBooks on your computer.
iPads and Laptops for Checkout
Enjoy subscription iPad apps for free at the Main Library! Binge watch your favorite HBO series and movies on HBO Now. Premium app iPads are limited, so ask staff at the front desk to borrow one today!
Laptops are available to use within the library. All laptops include the Microsoft Office suite and Wi-Fi access.
Kanopy offers more than 30,000 of the world’s best films, including award-winning documentaries, rare and hard-to-find titles, film festival favorites, indie and classic films, and world cinema with collections from The Criterion Collection, Kino Lorber, Music Box Films, Samuel Goldwyn, The Orchard, The Great Courses, PBS and more.
How to get started?
- You must have a valid South San Francisco "29048" library card.
- Visit https://ssf.kanopy.com/
- Click "Sign up" and create an account using one of the following three methods: Facebook, Google, or email address.
- Go to your email inbox and look for a message from Kanopy instructing you to verify your email address. If you already have an account, simply click "Log in" and enter your information.
- After you have verified your email address, go back to Kanopy and add your 14-digit library card number and PIN.
- Download the Kanopy app for your preferred viewing device (iOS, Android, Apple TV, Chromecast or Roku) or access via web browser from your desktop computer.
How does Kanopy work?
- You can watch 10 movies per month. Account resets at the beginning of the month.
- Streaming videos lend for 3 days.
- No late fees and no holds! You can start watching right away.
Does Kanopy offer content for children?
Yes! Kanopy Kids highlights films and TV series that inspire and inform, helping children develop empathy, mindfulness, and self-esteem through entertaining and educational videos. To activate, click the “KIDS” icon that appears at the top of your Kanopy page. Parents can also create a 4-digit PIN to ensure that kids only have access to age-appropriate videos.
Access library resources from your tablet or smartphone! Checkout and download digital items from within the app, use an eCard version of your library card, access all of the library’s digital content providers, and much more - all from your mobile device. Download available for iPhone or Android devices.
Print From Anywhere
You can print from email, from your mobile device, or from your laptop or home desktop, and pick up your prints at the library.
To pick up your document(s) at the Grand Avenue Library, 306 Walnut Ave., click here.
To pick up your document(s) at the Main Library, 840 W. Orange Ave., click here.
RB Digital Magazines
RB Digital Magazines, the world's largest newsstand, offers full-color digital magazines anytime, anywhere reading on desktops mobile devices and apps.
Text Messaging Alerts
Stay up-to-date on all your Library account activity!
Sign up for this free service and receive updates on item holds ready to be checked out, overdue notices, and courtesy notices for items that will be due in two days. You can even renew items with a quick text.
Signing up is easy. Text the message SIGNUP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Text message notifications are provided by shoutbomb, LLC. While this is a free service offered by the Library, you may incur per-message charges depending on your wireless plan. Please contact your wireless provider for more details.