Main Library Storytimes
840 West Orange Avenue
(650) 829-3860 se habla español
- Family Storytime - (all ages) Mondays 6:00 pm
- Toddler Storytime - (18 months to 3 years) Tuesdays 10:15 am & 11:15 am
- Bouncing Babies Storytime - (birth to 18 months) Wednesdays 10:15 am & 11:15 am
- Cantonese Storytime - (all ages) 1st Saturday and 3rd Saturday of every month at 10:30 am
- Tagalog Storytime - (all ages) Second Sunday of every month 3:00 pm
Grand Avenue Library Storytimes
306 Walnut Avenue
(650) 877-8530 se habla español
- Toddler Storytime - (18 months to 3 years) Mondays 10:30 am
- Portuguese Storytime - (all ages) Tuesdays 10:30 am. Histórias, cantigas e parlendas em português para crianças de todas as idades e pais ou responsáveis. Socialização logo em seguida.
- Family STEAM Storytime - (all ages) Thursdays 10:30 am
- Baby Bounce Storytime - (birth to 18 months) Fridays 10:30 am
- Leer y Aprender: Cuentos! Spanish storytime - (3 years to 5 years) Saturdays at 10:30 am
Students can come to the library and get help with their research papers and reports. Library staff can help you find the information you are looking for by using our databases and other sources.
Hack Your Homework takes place starting at 3:00pm on weekdays at both Main and Grand locations. Come visit us!
e-Books for Kids
- TumbleBooks - Animated, talking children's picture books, puzzles, and other fun and educational activities. Tumblebooks is funded by the Friends of the Library.
- BookFlix - An online literacy resource that pairs classic fictional video storybooks from Weston Woods® with related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic to build a love of reading and learning in all children.
Have you tried out video streaming with Kanopy yet? We're happy to announce the launch of Kanopy Kids which features hundreds of videos available for free with your SSF library card! Kanopy has partnered with Common Sense Media to offer developmentally appropriate age ratings that help you decide what to watch, plus you can now set up parental controls. Visit https://ssf.kanopy.com/kids to start streaming or drop by the library for more information.
Early Literacy Activity for Kids
ABCmouse.com -This online curriculum is for children ages 2-7+. It includes reading and language arts, math, beginning science, social studies, art and music. The interactive activities include- books, educational games, puzzles, art activities, songs, music videos and more. This link is only available in-library use on our computers.
ABCmouse Bring Learning Home - This is the ABCmouse home checkout! Use this link to sign up for a four week checkout to use on your personal device or computer. It is easy to use, but may be different from the version you use at the library. Follow the steps on the link for check out and if you have any questions, please feel free to call (650) 829-3860 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEM Kits for Infants through Preschool Children
The STEM Kits were developed for parents and caregivers to explore STEM concepts with young children through play. This early literacy initiative is to encourage adults to "unplug" from their digital device and expose young children to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math in an easy to understand way.
There are currently sixty STEM kits available for check-out with more being developed to be added in the future. Each kit will have 3-5 theme-based toys and 3 books. Families may borrow and return kits at one of the South San Francisco Libraries.
Wearables for Child Development
The research is clear: children learn language based on how much their parents talk to them. Help reach your goals with The Starling! This device that tracks, assesses, and provides feedback on three core areas of child development: engagement, reading, and motion. Clip the Starling to your child and get real-time insights into their whole day. See metrics on verbal engagement, motion, noise, and even sunlight exposure. Please ask library staff for more details or take home the Starling today!